Tuesday, October 26, 2010

sitcom

The concept I find most interesting and relative to the shows I watch is the mini resolutions concept.  A mini resolution comes to life when the characters in the show face a difficulty.  The characters spend the remaining time of the sitcom trying to resolve their issue, and by the end of the show, the issue turns into a lesson learned.
A sitcom is usually a 30 minute show that gets the audience smiling.  A sitcom is very convenient for someone who is on their lunch break and needs a quick laugh while relaxing for a bit.  A mini resolution fits fabulously into a sitcom because it’s the concept of fitting the moral of an hr long show into a compressed 30 minute one.  Instead of having a drawn out full resolution, a mini one takes its place. 
Just the other day I was watching an episode of My Wife and Kids.  An issue arose where Clair was caught faking sick so she could stay home from school and have her boyfriend come over.  Mr. Kyle is a comical character so I could not wait to see how he handled it.  Though I knew he was going to be mad and make a big production of punishing Clair, I knew that by the end of the 30 min sitcom everyone would be smiling.  Because of Colin Tain’s lecture, I now understand that the ideas behind the happy endings of sitcoms are a part of mini resolutions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment